It's that time of year where we decide which films were naughty and which films were nice. And as with most years they were more films that lied in between rather than on the edges of the spectrum.
In my opinion this year had its masterpiece moment with "Boyhood" that for any person could be seen as the emotional journey of finding our identity and purpose in life. "Gone Girl" was then the most enjoyable camouflaged pop corn flick. Due to the masterful filmmaking of David Fincher. Making twists seems reasonable and the mystery enticing. With this pair we have the wannabe (by Nolan fans) sci-fi masterpiece. That was close to pulling off that feat, but because of a few issues fell a bit short. Entering further into the deep black hole it ventured forth into.
Furthermore the rest of the top ten can't be disqualified from praise. As what they accomplished in their own right was remarkable. From the powerful human like ape drama in "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes", to the honor of a philanderous husband in "Locke" to the confusing but still interesting mind game "Enemy" played on us.
Although with those great moments, came sadly huge disappointments and downers. And were talking about after midnight, next day new year downers, when you remind yourself of that drink you shouldn't have had or that cake you ate too much of.
But, I digress. Those downer moments came from films that should remain nameless, but are required to be mentioned in order for those people involved to feel a little bit of shame with their decision making process. Ergo to correct their mistakes and get back on our good side.
Anyhow, posthaste and on to the list!
the best films of 2014
- Boyhood by Richard Linklater trailer review
- Gone Girl by David Fincher trailer review
- Whiplash by Damian Chazelle trailer
- The Grand Budapest Hotel by Wes Anderson trailer
- Interstellar by Christopher Nolan trailer review
- Foxcatcher by Bennett Miller trailer
- Dawn of the Planet of the Apes by Matt Reeves trailer review
- Locke by Steven Knight trailer review
- Get on Up by Tate Taylor trailer review
- Enemy by Denis Villeneuve trailer review
honorable mentions in alphabetical order:
- 22 Jump Street by Phil Lord, Christopher Miller trailer review
- Birdman by Alejandro G. Iñárritu trailer review
- Captain America: Winter Soldier by Anthony Russo, Joe Russo trailer
- Edge of Tomorrow by Doug Liman trailer review
- Guardians of the Galaxy by James Gunn trailer review
- Life Itself by Steve James trailer review
- That Awkward Moment by Tom Gormican trailer review
- The Imitation Game by Morten Tyldum trailer
- Under the Skin by Jonathan Glazer trailer
the worst films of 2014
- Lucy by Luc Besson trailer review
- A Haunted House 2 by Michael Tiddes trailer review
- Vampire Academy by Mark Waters trailer review
- The Angriest Man in Brooklyn by Phil Alden Robinson trailer review
- The Legend of Hercules by Renny Harlin trailer review
- Divergent by Neil Burger trailer review
- I, Frankenstein by Stuart Beattie trailer review
- Transformers: Age of Extinction by Michael Bay trailer review
- RoboCop by José Padilha trailer review
- The Hungover Games by Josh Stolberg trailer
P.S. As always this an ever-evolving list. I haven't seen all the films of 2014 and there are many more I still wish to see. So even if some are not on the list, that doesn't mean they wont be later or that they don't deserve to be.
List of all the films I saw this year (from best to worst): HERE
updated as of December 6, 2015