This list may be half a year over due, but last year's was almost a full year late, so we are making some sort of progress. The reasons for this are various, but mostly boil down to not having enough time to see the same amount of films in a given year, especially enough great ones, but also terrible ones in order to form this list. Now that I have reached at least the mark of 50 films seen in a given year, I can say that the below list of best and worst is a more honest take than whatever else could have been formulated a few months back.
The best film of 2017 and without a shadow of bias (wink, wink), was 'Dunkirk'. It was the most realistic, heart wrenching and griping cinematic experience of the year and if you love war films and Christopher Nolan's style then its impossible not to see it as the high point of the year. Very close in second place is 'Blade Runner 2049', of which I wanted to have given a perfect score, but might have not due to the fact of myself being maybe a bit too objective in its actual impact and execution. Which to say the least was superb and unique even though its a sequel. Additionally, from all the films of the year, it understood what it meant to best meld CGI in a realistic manner and produce a film that happened to be the better of its cult classic original. A feat not many have been able to accomplice with such style.
Down the list are many other great films that for their genres are high marks such as 'Logan' for the best adult comic book movie next to the 'The Dark Knight' and 'Una' that tackles a very sensitive subject with some twists and turns that make you question still what might have happened after the film ends. Some others films that while great, did lack in a few key areas to be even greater experience such as 'the Florida Project' and 'War for the Planet of the Apes'. While others were great even though politics played too great of a role and can be easily enjoyed without thinking too much about them such as in 'Get Out' and 'Roman J. Israel, Esq'.
From the films that should be honorably mentioned, 'The Post' was actually not a bad film and may be Spielberg's second best film in the last 10 years. 'Darkest Hour' was a upstanding war film that sadly though had some historical inaccuracies in it, 'Mindhorn' is a surprising comedy most will have not seen and should and finally 'Guardians 2' and 'Wonder Woman' are some good old action fun that we all need at some point year round.
Below are all my picks for the best and worst films of the year 2017.
the best films of 2017
- Dunkirk by Christopher Nolan review
- Blade Runner 2049 by Denis Villeneuve review
- Logan by James Mangold review
- Una by Benedict Andrews
- War for the Planet of the Apes by Matt Reeves review
- Wind River by Taylor Sheridan
- The Florida Project by Sean Baker review
- The Beguiled by Sofia Coppola
- Get Out by Jordan Peele
- Roman J. Israel, Esq. by Dan Gilroy
honorable mentions in alphabetical order:
- Darkest Hour by Joe Wright review
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 by James Gunn review
- Logan Lucky by Steven Soderbergh
- Mindhorn by Sean Foley
- My Cousin Rachel by Roger Michell
- The Big Sick by Michael Showalter
- The Post by Steven Spielberg
- The Wizard of Lies by Barry Levinson
- Wonder Woman by Patty Jenkins review
the worst films of 2017
- Okja by Joon-ho Bong review
- The Shape of the Water by Guillermo del Toro
- What the Health by Kip Andersen & Keegan Kuhn
- The Fate of the Furious by F. Gary Gray
- Fifty Shades Freed by James Foley review
- The Killing of a Sacred Deer by Yorgos Lanthimos review
- The Mummy by Alex Kurtzman
- Alien: Covenant by Ridley Scott
- Beauty and the Beast by Bill Condon
- Baywatch by Seth Gordon
P.S. This an ever-evolving list. I haven't seen all the films of 2017 and there are many more I still wish to see. So, even if some are not on the list, that doesn't mean they won't be in later or that they don't deserve to be.
List of all the films I saw this year (from best to worst): HERE
All films picked are based on the first country of release.
Last updated as of July 7, 2018